viernes, 27 de agosto de 2010

I am not the best news reader, it`s not a common thing to do, you know, reading newspapaers or web pages, at least not for me. I wonder why...maybe it`s because
I feel that the relation between us and the news is always a distant one. My best example is the last summer earthquake.
We were in a hill...things happened so fast, we could see little lights desapear in the sea, maybe ships, but nothing was clear. What kind of news can you recive there?, is it usefull to know that five people have allready died?, is something going to change if the president is in his house or in his way to who knows where?
Some say that we should have being warned...can we blame them for not to?, maybe yes, but, why didn`t I spected?, for example. Maybe the reason why I can`t be interested in newspapers it`s the same that makes me think that there`s nobody there taking care of you.
I remember the sound of the birds, runing scared from what was disturbing their water beds. Before that, the earthquake was a joke, a fun moment, an adventure for young stupid kids. After those birds and the wave that woke them up, all life came to present, death was there, showing us his face in visions that can`t be avoided.
You could only run. A friend was helping a man that have lost his son durning the earthquake, they were serching for the kid, thinking that maybe he runned away with his mother...when the wave came, I thought that it was imposible to save my friend...he was far away from us, maybe two blocks, what can I do?..I better run for my life..
After all, he joined us in our escape through the street, and I felt good knowing that he was alive...but I didin`t stop, I never stop running beacuse I was taking care of my own.
I have come to this beacause I belive that an experience like that, somehow, showed me that we can trust in others, take care of them, but, can we sacrifice?, realy sacrifice?...can we expect them to sacrifice for us?...can we blame people that didn`t warned us?...maybe I would have fail as they did.

1 comentario:

  1. Hi Willem,
    I think that the media are extremely cold-minded, they don't care about the people, they only look for a selling product, it can be a story, an image, a testimony from a witness, etc. They turn it into a product and the people buys it, it's all a great horror circus, and if you consume their products, you're are part of them. This government has promised better wages and an increasing economy, and they finally had given us what the romans loved and called: "Bread and Circus".
    I didn't know that you were so close to the tsunami tragedy, and I think that was correct what you did, so don't be worried about it.
    Have a good time.

    ResponderEliminar